Peter Pan Complex
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Palace - Healing, Learning, and...Danger???

2 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Welcome to the Palace - Healing, Learning, and...Danger??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Welcome to the Palace - Healing, Learning, and...Danger???

Post  kairiocean Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:30 am

Kal vigorously chewed the fish as Greylyn talked.

"No Mister Kal, that's just it: I wouldn't have done the same for you," Kal looked up at her, his long eyelashes blinking dust from his eyes. Greylyn's face was honest, as honest as he had ever seen it, and tired. Very tired, but not as in, "tired after a hard and busy day", more like "tired after a long and unfufilling life.", maybe for that reason.

Kal thought over her words, for him, doing the right thing, well, maybe it was hard, physically and mentally. But not morally. It was like how you had to breathe underwater if your running out of air. No matter how much you may be trying to reach the bottom, the great mercity, you were obligated by a power greater than yourself to return. He realized he hadn't saved Greylyn because she was friend or family, he barely knew her, but because she was purely in danger. I guess it was one core thing he believed, Kal thought. That everyone has a right to life.

Greylyn seemed so disappointed with her world that she had forgot that. And she had told him so. It seemed so weird, she looked far to young and vibrant to be tired with life.

Greylyn shook her head with another old and tired sigh, and Kal was suddenly struck by the weird feeling that he always forgot how old she really was. Though she was not close to reaching the end of her life, and appeared for all the world at as young and tender age of thirteen, she could easily be far older than the doctor she described, who Kal could see the white hair of through the bars of the door.

Trapped in time, almost, just barely creeping forward. Kal closed his eyes as his heart beat rythem with the thoughts in his head that struggled against waves of despodancy. How strange he was, it was he who was the alien in this land. A human, but a human who was aging. Who had taken the blessing of being raised by merpeople to have their strength to age. To age from a babe so he could swim and fish and fight. But what if that all wore off? What if he got caught, a man in a boys body? For eternity? Would having all life cease to give life any meaning at all? Would he become as tired as Greylyn? Would he lose his respect for life? His love for it?

Kal coughed, then opened his large blue eyes as Greylyn spoke.

"The keys," She said, her voice taking on a new tone of almost whisper. She nodded to the heavy chains whos sharp round edges gouged his wrists. "Does Sir Marjx or the Prison-keeper have them?"

Kal's mouth dropped open, she couldn't actually be thinking what he thought she was thinking, a thousand protests bubbled up inside him, but Greylyn swiftly cut across his possible retorts.

"You have doubted me much too often since our meeting, Mister Kal, and it is rather a pain of you to do so. If you’ll save your words and simply answer my question, it would be much appreciated, hm?" She said. Kal took a deep breath, prepared in everyway to defy her request.

"Greylyn...if you try some way of busting me out of here, well it will make me an enemy of the council! I'll be banned across Neverland, I'll have no where to go! Let alone you, of course they'll suspect you, and then it will be you in here instead of me, unless you go with me and we'll both be enemy's of the council...and..." Kal coughed heavily. His eyes were looking at her, pleading. Suddenly his coughing ended, and all was silence.

In the stark absence of voice or thought, Kal tentatively, loathingly examined the possibility of escape. I do have somewhere to go, he thought tremulously, small hope running through his bare body. The other world, my real home.

But who knew how to get their? Who knew how to escape? No one Kal knew, any secrets of the written word he may have had had been brutally confinscated by that faun, Sir Marjx, his name was. Kal closed his eyes, and there was a rush, a thumping rush of his heart that filled his mind and body, it longed for the ocean, it longed for freedom, it longed for escape.

He would leave here, and...somehow he would find a way home?

"Greylyn" He choked, filled with almost shame for betraying the people who had locked him here, wrongfully, but still they thought it right, didn't they? "The guard has the keys, but Greylyn, where would we go?"
kairiocean
kairiocean

Back to top Go down

Welcome to the Palace - Healing, Learning, and...Danger??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Welcome to the Palace - Healing, Learning, and...Danger???

Post  Peppers Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:59 am

Greylyn looked away with a grimace when Kal reminded her of the consequences, despite her telling him not to. But her eyes returned to him when a series of loud coughs shook his body. Greylyn pursed her lips slightly, but she promptly shook away thoughts of sickness and returned to what was at hand.
Where would they go? /They?/ An eager light gleamed in her eyes for half a second, but was quickly done away with by Doubt and Reality. “No, where would /you/ go. I can escape anything in the Neverwood, first: because I know it like the back of my hand, and second: because if it didn’t occur to you, I /can/ take care of myself. /You/ on the other hand…. Mm, you’re not a Merman, Mister Kal. You can’t hide in the water forever.”
Greylyn raised her eyebrows thoughtfully, and leaned slightly toward him, feeling her hands shake from weakness as she put another bit of fish into his mouth before setting the tray aside.
“You think,” she said with almost a smile, pushing herself up onto her feet, using the grimy stone wall as a prop. “I’ll get the keys.”
Greylyn took a breath, then walked as best as she could to the barred door, swaying a bit as she did so. Her face pressed against the bars and she peeked out at the Doctor with a slight, cunning smile. “You’ll let me out, won’t you? Or was I supposed to rot in here with Mister Kal, hm?”
She could feel her legs about to give way, and held onto the bars for support.
Peppers
Peppers

Back to top Go down

Post  kairiocean Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:31 pm

Dr.Strow turned as he heard Greylyn's voice come from behind the thick door. He turned to see her leaning against the bars of the door, swaying slightly from the effort. She was smiling, the first smile he had seen her have, but it was tainted slightly with an eager shiftiness. Dr.Strow frowned slightly.

"All right," He said slowly. "You may sit out here while I check Mr.Merash's leg I suppose," Strow eased open the huge door, grabbing Greylyn's arm gently as he led her to sit back in the wheelchair. He wheeled her out to the center room, and, after giving her a slight, confused smile, walked back into Kal's cell, closing the door except for a crack behind him, leaving Greylyn alone in the torch ringed room. The centuar was playing the strange cloth card game again, but ever so often patted his vest with a stupid, excited smirk on his face with the thought of what he would do with the doctors bribe. He hummed tunelessly, the ring of keys sometimes clinking amoung themselves from where they were tied with tight leather to his brass studded belt that crossed his chest.

---------------

After the doctor had wheeled Greylyn from the room, Kal once again examined it's sooty gray walls in grim isolation. He could feel his muscles tensing already for whatever haphazard play Greylyn may attempt to get him out of here. Where could he go? Where could he go? It played like a constant montage in his head. He thought of Greylyn's words. You're not a merman, Mister Kal. You can't hide in the water forever.

I'm not, he thought sadly. While not being a merman often brought him great pride, to know that he was of a race that dominated their own world, he also often felt great sorrow. Especially when he was younger, when the urge to belong was the strongest. No matter what path he'd choose in life, he would always be a foundling. A merman and a human. But Greylyn was right in one aspect. He was not full merman, he could not disappear in the water for good. He would always return. Always return to the blessing and curse of air, sweet air.

Suddenly a shadow crept across the wall, Kal's body tensed immediatly, his eyes flashing across the wall. Was that a dress? A flip of ashy hair? A soft high laugh seemed to echo mockingly in the depths of his ears. Kal glanced down, his own shadow was wriggiling with anticipation, as if trying to escape to the dark recesses of the cell.

In an instant the sensation was over, a loud, gentle voice, aged with sensibility and kindness rocketed him into the world of the being. Kal looked up to see the old white faun enter, pulling a dark medical bag from his shoulder and kneeling down to look Kal in the eye.

"Hello Mr.Merash, my name is Dr.Strow and I treated your calf wound last night while you were unconcious," He said, extending his hand to shake. Kal took it gratefully. "Thank you sir," He said with a small smile.

Dr.Strow unwrapped the bandages and examined the small hole that had been stitched with purified black thread. He swabbed some antabiotics all around the stitching, and wrapped fresh clean bandages around it, securing it with a tin clip. All the while he talked with Kal on how it felt, how long it would be before it fully healed, how it wasn't infected yet which was good, and all sorts of other idle doctor chitchat.

He then helped Kal eat the rest of the fish. Color rushed back to Kal's cheeks, and his mind began to race. Now his stomach turned as he thought of attempting to escape. His eyebrows scrunched in consernation, and he glanced tentativly up at Dr.Strow.

"Dr., are they ever going to let me out of here?" He said. Dr.Strow avoided his eye, instead speaking to his medical bag as he re-packed his supplies.

"Only if the princess is found, learns of your existance here, and pardons you. At first I hoped it would be soon, but she has never been gone this long before, and the Neverwoods have been swept for any sign of her. She seems to have vanished middway between the beach and the castle. Shadow's are suspected, and if thats the case, I don't know if she'll ever be found,"

Kal's heart sunk as fast as if it had been attached to a pound of lead. Dr.Strow glanced up, his own heart aching.

"I'm sorry, but I don't wish to lie to my patients. Nothing good ever comes of lying. But you musn't lose hope, you must keep your strength up. In due time perhaps I can request you be put on bail, as something of a slave to showcase your moral character. I'll try my best Mr.Merash, but things arn't looking that good right now. Be grateful you have Greylyn around. I'm thinking of inviting her to stay in the palace as my assistant, so it's not all that bad, see? Keep hope." And Dr.Strow walked to the door, leaving Kal with less hope than he had ever had.

A shadow caught the corner of his eye, but it was gone again, convincing Kal it must have been Dr.Strow's as he eased open the heavy door.
kairiocean
kairiocean

Back to top Go down

Post  Peppers Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:57 pm

Greylyn immediately stood again as soon as the doctor went in to treat Kal, her legs wobbly. It would seem that she managed to keep on her feet by sheer desire: the desire to get what she wanted, and what Kal needed. The key.
Her eyes ran over the chestnut centaur, like a cat observing an injured mouse. She had no money, which seemed to be a certain pleasure of his. Licking her lips, she stepped toward the table and put her hands on it, the opposite side from the centaur. Peering at him awkwardly through the wisps of bangs that fell into her eyes, Greylyn gave a small smile.
“You are Mister Feasub… er, Faebus…?” She muttered a curse after stumbling over his name, but quickly left off and widened her eyes to make them appear innocent, a cute-but-frozen smile still on her lips. She opened her mouth to add something more, but was interrupted by the prison door opening. Greylyn turned around to look at the doctor, her smile completely gone.
“How… is he?” she asked quickly, leaning back with her hands still on the table.
Inwardly, she was cursing and stomping. The doctor hadn’t given her enough time… she needed more time!
Peppers
Peppers

Back to top Go down

Post  kairiocean Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:48 pm

Dr.Strow, exited the cell to see Greylyn leaning against the table where Febeus was looking up at her from his card game, furry eyebrows raised skeptically at the cute, innocent figure she was cutting. He glanced from the chair to Greylyn. I guess she's simply determined to stay out of it... Strow thought, trying to prevent his mind from jumping to weird conclusions that kept manifesting themselves in the images of an empty cell and an enraged Marjx. He shook his head, he needed to stop being so paranoid.

"His wound is fine, but he is remarkable dehydrated. I was thinking of retrieving him some more water before we leave..." Dr.Strow said slowly, gesturing to the jug he held in his left hand, and suddenly feeling that his previously no nonsense doctors intuition of quickly fetching the patient more water wasn't such a good idea after all.

Nonsense, he thought to himself, shaking his head and heading to the base of the stairs. "Their is a ground faucet just outside the hall that leads down to here. I suppose it would be quicker if I was to go alone, but would you like to come with me to fetch it all the same?" He smiled kindly at her.

Febeus returned doggedly to his card game, his mind on his money leading him to thoughts of how nice it would be to take it to a tavern. He was an excellent card player, and his first love was gambling. In fact, he had been very disappointed that, with only one prisoner, he was assinged to solitary guard duty. Cards were oh so much fun with a shrewd opponent, and Febeus wanted to hone his skills in winning. With the new bribe, he could win a fortune in town.

----------------

Kal at first strained to hear the conversation muffled behind the door heavy door, but eventually gave up, exhausted. Of course Greylyn couldn't get the keys, she had nothing to offer... He'd just have to wait and hope.

Suddenly the presence of a finger seemed to brush his cheek. Kal started, gasping, the shackles clanging painfully around his wrist. The torch was still burning, but as Kal's eyes traveled all around the room, he couldn't see anyone there. A weird thought crossed his mind that the cell may be haunted. He snorted at his own absurdity, then was suddenly afraid. He wasn't going mad was he? He had heard people do that when locked up. Go slowly, steadily stark crazy. Kal focused on breathing. That wasn't going to happen to him.

"Well well well, arn't we the brave one," Kal started, his eyes widening in shock as tendrils of darkness peeled from the walls and swirled like smoke in the center of the room, forming someone. Forming a girl, about fifteen perhaps, sitting cross legged in a gray lace nightgown with slits up the sides and dark leggings beneath. Her skin was a color that was pale, and ashy on the tints, giving her skin a gray look tinged with darkness on the edges. Her hair was a full, smooth ashy blond that went down to her waist. Her face had all the proper breeding of a upperclass English school girl, and was strangely plain yet beautiful at the same time. Ash colored lashes framed eyes that stood out in sharp contrast from the rest of her shadowy body. Her eyes were red. The whites were a pale red, like a sinister pink, and the iris's were the color of blood and fire, flowing and burning within her. Even her pupils were not quite black, but more of the darkest red you could possibly distinguish. Her face was set in an alluring smirk.

"Who...who are you," Kal stuttered out, his heart racing and muscles tensing, even though their was no where to run. The girl laughed, a high, lilting sound. She stood and walked over to him, her feet bare, but clean and spotless against the dirty floor.

"My name is Wendy," The girl said, tilting her head so her side bangs flopped over her face attractively. Kal paused dumbly, she had answered his question, but not...really...

"Are...are you a shadow?" He started to articulate his thoughts more clearly. "What are you doing here?" A note of fiercness crept into his voice. The girl smiled, her teeth white against her gray lips.

"Of course I'm not a shadow! I'm a poor unfortunate English girl who fell down a chimney and got covered in soot! That's why I appeared out of the shadows of the wall in a cell thirty feet below ground. You really are a silly little man." She touched the tip of his nose with her slender finger. Kal growled, she was playing him for a fool.

"What do you want," He said cautiously, though no less fiercly. The girl pouted, though her eyes were laughing.

"Well," Wendy said slowly, touching her finger to her chin and eyeing him up and down. Kal had the weird tingling sensation as her eyes traveled over him. "I was planning on helping you...if you were nice," She giggled and pranced over to the heavy, blank stone wall. She stroked it gently once, winking at Kal over her shoulder. Suddenly the blocks seemed to dissolve, and a dark tunnel appeared to extend from where there had been solid walls just a few minutes ago. Kal strained unconciously against his shackles, his breath caught in amazement. Escape...? Right in front of him all this time...?

"Oh dear, but your all locked up!" Wendy said tapping her chin. "What a strange conoundrum this is turning out to be! Lets see...I'll make you a deal, you get yourself out of those chains and I'll get you out of here. Think of it as a test! Prove your smart enough, little fish man." With a high speeling laugh, the girl dissolved into shadows, and the tunnel faded into a blank, unmovabble wall.

Kal began to strain against his shackles with all his might, the metal cutting into them, and his thoughts racing around his head. Who was that girl? Why did she want to help him?
And though his thoughts raced in doubt and often fear, he never stopped straining uselessly against those shackles.
kairiocean
kairiocean

Back to top Go down

Post  Peppers Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:48 pm

Greylyn shook her head quickly.
“I’ll stay, thank /you./”
She glanced back at the guard, but he had returned to his card game, which made her cheeks flush red in frustration. “Cards aren’t everything to life, you know.” She snapped at him impatiently, then she stumbled back to the heavy wood-and-bars door and sat with her back against it. Her bare knees had gotten quite covered in dirt and filth from kneeling in Kal’s cell, and now the back of her legs would be just as dirty from sitting. Greylyn rested her head in her hands as she thoughtfully stared at the guard, who’s name she still could not remember in full.
It wasn’t long before she heard Kal’s voice from the cell, for though it was but a murmur, it seemed quite obvious and loud in the still silence. She furrowed her brows and ignored it for a moment, but when he continued, Greylyn pushed herself onto her feet and peered into the cell through the bars.
Because the torch was quite close to the door, she had trouble seeing much of anything, and it took over a minute for her eyes to locate the general area where Kal was sitting.
“What’s up?” she asked, her tone edged with annoyance.
Greylyn had an idea, though, before Kal could answer, and she quickly looked over her shoulder at the guard, while clinging to the bars for balance. “Alright, then: come over and let me in will you?”
Yes: come over. Come over and take out that ring of keys.
Peppers
Peppers

Back to top Go down

Post  kairiocean Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:17 pm

"Card's arn't everything in life you know." The elf snapped at Febeus. He looked up at her, raising his eyebrows in annoyance. Who was the little pipsqueak anyway? He grunted non-commitally and turned back to his cards as she stormed weakly over to the door, sliding down in a morose sitting position on the cold dirty floor.

After a while, the guard could here the prisoner talking behind the door, loud even against the muffled door and the crackling of the torches. He frowned, what, the prisoner was talking to himself already? "Oi, shut up will yah?" He grunted, almost to himself as he focused on his cards. He would never admit that it kind of creeped him out when prisoners did mad things like that. He just didn't like it, that's all. Was plain unnatural.

"Alright, then: come over and let me in will you?" The elf said in a commanding tone, clinging to the bars of the small window. The centuar turned his head around from his cards, his wavy, dingy ginger hair, framing his annoyed face. The nerve of the little elf. At first his unruly tongue started to say some condensending retort, telling her to get out of his prison, when what sparing intelligence he did posses reminded him that she was under Dr.Strow's protection. And Dr.Strow was the one responsible for the hefty sum of gold he was fingering beneath his vest. Febeus scowled nastily instead.

"Fine," He said, swearing under his breath as he stood up from where his long horse body had been laying on a straw woven carpet next to the table, and trotted over to the door. He bent his strong forelegs and untied the ring of keys tersly from his belt, putting the third one into the cell door and turning it as it clicked the mechanism and the heavy door creaked inward, revealing Kal straining with every muscle in his body. The chains clanged noisly as he pressed his fingers together and tried to force his hands to squeeze out of the tight shackles. He started at the sudden prescence of Greylyn and Febeus in the doorway and was suddenly perfectly still, leaning forward, staring at the ground, his wrists red and bloodied.

"What the..." Febeus cursed, eyeing Kal suspiciously before beginning to turn slowly back to his cards. "I won't tolerate any of that nonsense. Stay quiet will you?"
kairiocean
kairiocean

Back to top Go down

Post  Peppers Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:39 pm

Greylyn swallowed and glanced down at the keys in the centaur’s hand. She forced herself to look up at the open doorway, though her fingers twitched with an urge to snatch the precious, large ring. But when her eyes focused on Kal, she drew in a sharp breath. Her face twisted into a confused expression, and she opened her mouth to speak, but it was then that the centaur turned to go back to his cards. Biting the insides of her cheeks, she surreptitiously glanced to see if the keys were still in the lock. A gasp almost escaped her mouth when she saw that, lo-and-behold, they were. Greylyn stood still in the doorway, her mind racing with the thrill of thievery running hotly through her.
She moved her hand so that it held the edge of the door, her fingertips touching the cold iron of the keys.
Carefully, slyly, quickly…
With the slightest /clink clank/, her hand wrapped around the key that was inserted into the lock, and gave a slight tug. Nothing.
Greylyn didn’t dare to look behind her and see what the centaur was doing, for fear that he would look at her. Another jerk, and the ring of keys was freed in her hand… but there was, well… a little louder of a /clank/ than she had hoped for. Greylyn’s eyes closed, and she murmured something, forcing herself to walk into the cell as if nothing was up. The ring of keys was heavy and large, but she quickly put herself into the shadows of the cell to hide the visible fact that she was holding it.
Only then did she look back at Kal, raising her thin eyebrows. “Don’t hurt yourself, Mister Kal.”
Peppers
Peppers

Back to top Go down

Post  kairiocean Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:21 pm

Kal's turned his head slightly to glance up as Greylyn slipped into the room, backing into the shadows of the wall, unaware of the presence of the precious keys that Greylyn's lith fingers were wrapped around tightly. There came no sound from the centuar who had evidently returned to his game. Kal's open mouth slowly curved into an uncertain, wary smile. He shook his head, trying to get ahold of himself.

"Greylyn," He whispered, his voice low and urgent. "There's a way out of this cell...a strange girl, a shadow I think she was...she's probably still here," He suddenly looked all around, shivering at the thought she may be hiding in the room, watching and laughing. "Anyway, she appeared and she showed me," He stressed hoarsly, jerking his head toward the opposite wall.

"It's somehow behind the stones there. I dunno, the girl, she just seemed to make them melt away. She said if I got out of these shackles she would help me," He said, suddenly speaking fast, caught up in the bizarre, pressing for her to believe him. He swallowed. "I got to find a way to get out of these shackles Greylyn, I think it might be my only chance,"

He gazed at her, his blue eyes wide. In that one moment he couldn't think of whether or not the strange girl could be trusted, or where the tunnel lead, or if he was doing right by trying to escape. With escape so near, he was drawn to it with a longing, with a hunger. His eyes would again seek out Wendy, but always returned to Greylyn. Hope and hopelessness seemed so close together that the lines between them were blurred. They seemed one and the same, a strange feeling inside Kal's chest that made him feel like yelling, yelling loud and long. Or swimming, swimming far far out to sea until he could swim no more.
kairiocean
kairiocean

Back to top Go down

Post  Peppers Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:09 pm

Greylyn’s lips twisted into a cunning smile, but that quickly melted away when she heard what Kal had to say. A shadow? In the cell?
Greylyn pressed her back against the hard, circular wall, staring into Kal’s eyes sternly. “Mister Kal, listen to yourself,” she urged, her head nodding forward slightly as she supported her nimble body against the solid stone wall. “You’re insane /already?/ Really?”
Greylyn tried to give a small smile after this, but she felt the hair on the back of her neck prickle with paranoia. What if there really was a Shadow – a live, evil, hidden existence – there? She pressed her lips together, and glanced over her shoulder at the light from the open door-way. The guard was still enwrapped in his card-game, and paid no attention to them. After reassuring herself of this, Greylyn quietly held the keys out into the light for Kal to behold. They were crudely made, and yet so precious… at least, they were to Kal. Greylyn rubbed her free hand over her mouth, as if to remind Kal to keep his senses and be quiet on the subject.
Crossing the room, she knelt in front of him again and said somewhat loudly, “Mister Kal, you’ve rubbed you wrists raw. See, now? You’ve made it much worse than it was, and you’re still no where near…” she left off her monolog to avoid the word ‘escaping,’ in case the guard outside (who the conversation was actually meant for) got an idea.
Quietly Greylyn tried the first key into the large, metal cuffs. Nothing. It wouldn’t even turn. She had trouble managing the keys alone, they were so big and weighty compared to her small, thin fingers, on which they left grease-like smudges.
She was about to wipe her hands on Kal to get them clean again, but realized that he still had nothing but a loin-cloth on… and there was hardly anything left of that, anyway. Greylyn grimaced and looked back at her work. Second key… no. Third key… still no. Fourth…
There was a click.
Greylyn’s eyes widened, and she quickly eased off the cuffs. She tried to stop the chain from falling suddenly to the floor, but her frail arms couldn’t hold up the weight at all. With a clatter, cold metal met the equally cold stone floor.
Greylyn closed her eyes and drew a breath.
“Mister Kal, please don’t try and move. You’re only making it worse, see.” She said, returning to her loud voice. Hopefully that would cover up suspicions that the guard might have.
“What now?” she whispered close to Kal’s ear, her heart thumping wildly.
Peppers
Peppers

Back to top Go down

Post  kairiocean Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:33 pm

Kal's eyes widened as Greylyn held out the heavy ring of keys, his heart picking back up in a strange pattern of thumps that threatened to burst through his chest.

"Woah," He let fall, almost silently from his lips into the room. He allowed himself a small, hesitant and seemingly crazy smile toward Greylyn. Greylyn walked slowly across to him, her face focused in intensity. Suddenly she spoke loudly.

"Mister Kal, you’ve rubbed you wrists raw. See, now? You’ve made it much worse than it was, and you’re still no where near…" Kal got the idea, and glanced nervously at the door that sat open a crack, knowing the guard was somewhere on the other side, flipping through his cards. He leaned out forward to make it easier for her to acess the key hole. His heart lept to his throat as she tried the first key. No tell-tale clicking. They shook, clinking inperceptibly upon Greylyn's delicate fingers that were now covered in smuges of what seemed like black grease.

Not the second one...the third...Kal was totally on edge, and suddenly, there it was. A silent click that seemed to revbrate through his body as the shackles fell deadly off his wrists to the ground with a horrifyingly loud clink. Kal's heart was in his throat, not breathing, not moving, holding himself in deadly silence.

"Mister Kal, please don’t try and move. You’re only making it worse, see." Greylyn said loudly, cutting through the silence of Kal's being. He let his breath softly out into the cell, his body suddenly hot and ready to run, to fight.

"What now," Greylyn whispered, so close to his ear it tickled and startled him. He jerked, then noislessly got to his large feet, breathing as he pulled energy from the deep recesses of his being. There was a power in his blood again. He gingerly shook his limbs, looking down at Greylyn in utter silence. He bit his lip, then motioned with one great hand and crept over to the wall that Wendy had vanished. He pressed his body up against the hard cold stone, his shoulder grinding into the mortar. It didn't budge. Kal looked around the firelit room frantically.

Suddenly, drizziling from the ceiling like the bottom of a tornado of light smokey matter, the girl materialized, crouched on the floor.

"Why, you got a friend to help you," She said her voice so loud and clear that Kal looked, terrified toward the heavy door, sure the guard must have heard something, but only silence came from the other side. "That's cheating, you know," She said, her voice delicate, but at the same time cold and sharp, like a knife poised on ice, she examined Greylyn condisendingly wiht her brilliant red eyes. Kal tensed, a weird, sickly untrusting feeling settiling in his stomach.

"Well, no matter," She yawned exaggeration. "She's served her purpose," Wendy walked easily up to the wall, her hips swaying and hair bouncing as if she was dancing to something slow. She glanced at Kal, her white smile strange as she stroked it once and the stones melted away into a dark passageway of dirt, gnarled roots feeding in through the walls and ceiling. Kal's eyes darted down the passageway, but far to soon it was too black to see anything at all.

The shadowy girl ran one of her long fingers over Kal's arm, winding it's way down to his hand which she took in hers. Kal was astonished by the strength of the grip, then noticed that the girl herself seemed to be made of taunt muscle. "Lets get going," She said, pulling him toward the tunnel. Kal almost stumbled, so strong was her pull against his.

"Wait," He said in an angry whisper. He glanced back at Greylyn's pale face, her eyes reflecting his own, confused and urgent ones. "Wendy...she comes too,"

He grabbed Greylyn's in his own. Wendy's smile never faded, but her eyes burned angrily.

"Hmmph, well, if you insist. I guess it's always nice to have a hostage." She said, now turning to Greylyn and beaming, her red eyes sparkling from beneath her bangs. She laughed, an alien, beautiful laugh. "Just kidding! And it's Jaiden, by the way Kal..."

She leaned close into him, Kal took a few steps back, confused and wary. "Jaiden, not Wendy." Kal blinked. Then she pulled on Kal's hand, who pulled on Greylyn, as they disappeared through stones that melted into place behind them, encasing them in total and complete darkness.
kairiocean
kairiocean

Back to top Go down

Post  Peppers Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:12 pm

[center]Greylyn had to stop herself from giving a cry of surprise when she saw the girl appear from what seemed to be heavy particles in the thick, cold air. Greylyn tried to back away, but Kal’s hand caught hold of her fingers and held her fast. It was not to prevent her from escaping, she knew, but to ensure that she came. However, attempted as best as she could to get out of Kal’s grip. She wasn’t going anywhere: not with the Shadow. Was Kal really crazed? He was calling the creature by name… name!
Then it happened so strangely and quickly…
And now it was black.
Greylyn could still feel Kal’s hand in hers, and this she clasped very tightly, for fear of being lost in the inkiness. And that was just as well, for she probably would have been. She could see nothing, but she could hear her heart pounding as well as the exhalation of her two companions… But did Shadows really breath? Perhaps it was only Kal that she was hearing…
“Mister… Kal?” she swallowed, trying to look around though it did her no good. Greylyn cursed under her breath, then at normal volume. “What have you done?” she demanded, drawing herself closer to Kal’s body in fright.[/center
]
Peppers
Peppers

Back to top Go down

Post  kairiocean Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:43 pm

Kal blinked foolishly in the dark, as if to adjust his vision to any possible light, though really there was none. He felt Wendy...Jaiden's firm grip on his left hand, while a shocked Greylyn clung to the other. For a minute he had the wierd sensation that he had fallen asleep sometime in the last hour and now was but a dream. He breathed, the air in the tunnel cool and earthy. Well, he was getting out of here...but at what cost? He thought, feeling Jaiden's hand in his. It was icy cold and strong. Then he felt Greylyn pull herself into him.

"Mister...Kal," she spoke, her voice unnervingly loud in the silent tunnel. "What have you done?"

Kal shook his head, a strange gesture in the dark where nothing could be seen. It was as if they were standing, eyes closed, tightly blindfolded on a night with no stars. He gathered himself, then directed Greylyn's frantic words to the shadow whos invisible fingers entwined his own.

"Well...whats going on...Jaiden?" He said, his voice almost bemusedly normal. The darkness didn't bother him in the slightest. Still, he was weirdly relaxed and tense at the same time, unsure of everything that flashed through his mind.

"It's alright," She said, not really answering his question, her voice silky in the darkness as she tugged on Kal's fingers. Hesitantly he began to walk forward, pulling Greylyn close behind him. "There's no reason to be afraid of the dark you know,"

Kal paused, testing the waters with his new aquaintance. He was as unsure of her charater as he had ever been about anyones, so he thought it best to procede with caution. She was helping him escape though....

"I'm not afraid, it's almost like being underwater at night," He said slowly, almost relishing how silly and normal the words sounded. It was true, this darkness was different from the torch punctured, heavy, dirty darkness of the cell. This dark was cool, long and empty. A bubble of freedom was welling up inside him, he felt strong and good agian, ready to take on whatever there was. Whatever she was.

Greylyn apparently did not feel the same, Kal kept her close to him, holding her small hand tightly as they walked down a tunnel. Kal limped slightly from his leg wound, and found it very easy to trip over the occasional tree root winding out of the earth, so they proceded slowly.

"Ah yes, the man who is half fish, but only in spirit," Jaiden said, her voice lilting back and forth. "I like you, Kal. Spirit you know, is all that counts in the worlds beyond,"

Kal frowned in the darkness. "I don't know what to say to that...." He finally said honestly, how did she know about him? Jaiden laughed.

"But...seriously," Kal said, a note of angry frustration creeping into his voice as he skimmed the top of his head on a treeroot. "Where are we going...?"

"Away from there," Her voice called, as though from afar, though he could feel her icy hand in his. "That's all that really matters, isn't it?"
kairiocean
kairiocean

Back to top Go down

Post  Peppers Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:43 am

Greylyn did not like the dark.
It was okay if the was a moon to see by, or at least the stars… but this was different. She could /feel/ the darkness, as it stayed perfectly still around her… slowly suffocating… slowly panicking.
There was no wind, but a scent at least. The scent of very old, very rich earth. Reaching her free hand out as they walked, her fingertips skimmed along a somewhat smooth surface that crumbled slightly in places at her touch. /Why, it’s only a tunnel…/ she thought to herself, then stretching her free hand up to see if she could feel the top. She couldn’t, though the occasional rough, tube-like root that entwined invisibly above did knock into her fingers.
Greylyn was, of course, the last of their little fellowship, lead only by Kal’s large hand. Her thin, animal-skin boots – which had been quite worn before this whole adventure started – were by now quite nearly thread-bare, and she eventually leaned down and unfastened them while still clumsily walking. And there she left the boots, somewhere in an underground Shadow tunnel, that led to probably no where.
Greylyn stumbled occasionally, her grip tightening and loosening as she did so on Kal’s hand. It had been too silent for too long, and finally the elf-child ventured to speak again.
“It’s a long way still, I hope?” she said cynically, directed at the Shadow… if she was even still there. “I’ve begun to feel rather like a mole after such a time underground, and that’s quite a pleasant thing to feel like, being blind and all.”
She drew a sharp breath as her toe jammed against a rather large tree root, and she swore softly.
“Mister Kal, your sack,” she said quietly after a pause, “They took it, didn’t they? With the books?”
Peppers
Peppers

Back to top Go down

Post  kairiocean Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:52 am

Kal's mind had begun to wander till he had thought of nothing, such was the strange and beautiful power of the darkness. He almost felt like he was walking in his sleep. The cool, standing air of the tunnel soothed his feverish wound, and he found that at every step the severity of his limp was decreasing. He held both hands quite amiably now as thier strange, silent, invisible procession united only by touch glided through the tunnel. How much time had passed? Ten minutes? An hour? Time seemed to rush past his ears in the strange calm.

Suddenly Greylyn spoke, Kal instantly attuned, catching to her voice in the nothiness like a man adrift at sea clutches to a peice of driftwood.

"It’s a long way still, I hope?” she scathed. “I’ve begun to feel rather like a mole after such a time underground, and that’s quite a pleasant thing to feel like, being blind and all.”

"Hmmm..." Jaiden's voice came from in front of him, slowly and deliberatly. "Yes you would feel that way. Most beings are blind when it comes to darkness."

And then the color of sound collapsed into the dark silence again, leaving Kal to wonder what both party had meant, and whether or not they really were close to the end.

Greylyn swore, Kal could feel through the heightened sense of movement in the tunnel that she had stubbed her toe. He paused for a second to help her over the root with a lifting tug. There was another pause, but before he could be lulled into its silence, Greylyn spoke.

"Mister Kal, your sack" She said quietly, "They took it, didn't they? With the books?"

Kal felt bitterness wash over him, his face falling in the invisibleness of the dark and his cheeks growing warm.

"Yes," He said finally, clenching his teeth. "There goes my one and only chance of escaping off this rock..."

There was a silence where Kal's anger simmered, making the cool darkness hot with anger, maybe a little blacker, instead of darker, if there was a difference. Maybe a bit more suffocating than freeing. Kal focused on breathing.

"Well I don't know," Came Jaiden's singsong voice "You may just find that there is always a way for the determined."

Her voice ended strong and sharp, washing over Kal with bewilderment. Then, suddenly, he felt something...that sweet physical entity of a tiny breeze skim his elbow. The darkness suddenly began to climb and at its highest point, began to cave into a tiny bubble of darkness, not quite so dark. Kal held tightly to Greylyn as they hiked up the steep tunnel. It occured to Kal to wonder again, where exactly it was that they were headed. Well, it wouldn't be long to wait now...
kairiocean
kairiocean

Back to top Go down

Post  Peppers Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:41 am

Greylyn had to admit that she was a bit amused with Kal’s continuing want to get away from Never-land.
“I suppose when I wished you luck with the books, it went the wrong way.” She smiled, but coughed slightly afterward when there was an awkward silence. She tried to ignore what the Shadow said… after all, a Shadow was a Shadow. Lying, cunning, mischievous… actually, something like her at her worse, though with darker purposes. And it was those ‘purposes’ that made Greylyn wary.
She held on to Kal tighter as they began to climb, still weak from sickness, and clumsier still because of the darkness. She didn’t like the feeling of being underground; perhaps she hated it even more than the darkness. Suppose the tunnel collapsed on them? What then? Or, perhaps it wouldn’t, but there still might be trouble outside… If the Shadow should lead them, say, to one of her kind’s territories…
Greylyn wished so badly that she had her bow and a quiver of arrows. She probably didn’t have the strength to pull back the string, but having a weapon would still give her a sense of comfort. But she didn’t suppose that arrows had any effect on Shadows… after all, what were they besides an illusion: able to disappear and appear again at will?
“Mister Kal,” she spoke again as they climbed still higher. Quite near to the top by now, probably. “Why leave Never-land, hm? I don’t believe you know for sure… that there even is a world. It’s only a guess. Who’s to say you’ll /belong/ any more than you do here, eh?”
That was all he wanted, wasn’t it? To belong somewhere? To /fit/?
Peppers
Peppers

Back to top Go down

Post  kairiocean Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:21 am

ooc; This board has been moved to Nightmare Falls. Smile
kairiocean
kairiocean

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum